8:00-5:30 July 31 - Aug. 4, 8:00-12:00 Aug. 5.
Please arrive 15 minutes early each day so we can begin on time. Attendance is mandatory. You may not leave campus once you get here, so remember to bring lunch.
What to wear:
- Lace-up tennis shoes and socks. No flip flops, sandals, Chacos, etc.
- Wear clothing that will keep you cool, like shorts, light-colors, and a hat to keep the sun off your head.
- Some type of lip protection with spf, especially woodwind and brass players. If it tingles, don't use it. Stay away from the ingredient camphor as it damages lip tissue.
- Deodorant. Please & Thank You.
What to bring:
- WATER AND GATORADE. We will have bottled water iced down each day and a cooler of ice for your own drinks. Do not bring energy drinks, soft drinks, or coffees.
- Snacks for short breaks (trail mix, granola bars, nuts, fresh fruit/veggies, yogurt, jerky, etc.). No gum.
- Lunch (Majorettes will take orders for Subway box lunches on Tuesday and Friday. More info about that later.)
- Flip folder & lyre
- Instrument (reeds, valve oil, slide grease, sticks, etc.)
- Inhaler, epi pen, or other medical necessities if you have EVER used them. Tell me if you have these when you get here Monday morning.
- Cell phones will go in the phone box during rehearsals. I need you mentally present during rehearsals. I would not be upset if you left your phone at home.
- Enthusiasm and a great attitude!
What to do before band camp (and during band camp):
- PLEASE HAVE "ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK" MEMORIZED FOR THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP.
- Get plenty of sleep. If you're like me, you need to start reprogramming your body's internal clock to go to bed and wake up earlier.
- Eat breakfast every morning
. You will burn a lot of calories and need food in your system for energy. A cup of coffee is not breakfast.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Start drinking more water TODAY. Don't wait until band camp.
- Play your instrument each day leading up to band camp to build up your endurance. Long tones, Remingtons, lip slurs, scales, etc. We will play a lot starting on day one. Be ready.
- Get exercise. Go outside. Sweat. Go for a walk or a run. Yes, in the heat. Kill two birds with one stone and play your instrument outside!
Things to turn in by July 31st:
- Emergency form
- Copy of health insurance card
- Field trip release
- Band handbook agreement
- Auxiliary handbook agreement
- 1 case of water
- $26 for shoes if you ordered
- $35 first semester school instrument fee
By Sept. 1st:
- $75 band fee #1
By Oct. 6th:
- $75 band fee #2
If you still have not turned in uniform parts from last year, I need those back yesterday. If you need alterations to your uniform, remember no cutting and no ironing (they burn). If we haven't found a uniform for you yet, DO NOT WORRY! This is not uncommon. We will probably have to do some shuffling around during band camp. Everyone will have a uniform.
If you need any music supplies listed above you can get them at Cole Band (open 10-5, M-F), or you can wait and I will make a shopping list the first day of camp (meaning you would have to do without for a couple days). Please check to be sure your instrument is in working condition and have it serviced if necessary before camp. This could take several days, so plan ahead.
Band Booster Meeting
Our first Band Booster meeting will be Thursday, Aug. 3rd at 5:30. Please plan to attend as we generally only have 1-2 meetings per year. We will pass out calendar fundraiser packets, elect one new officer, and sign up to work the concession stand (by seniority).
Your attendance affects your grade in band. The only excused absences from PERFORMANCES are student illness or a death in the family. Excused absences can be "made up" by submitting a 2-page typed report to me. Any other type of absence (e.g. vacations, work, you forgot) will be unexcused. Unexcused absences from performances cannot be made up and will result in a 0 for that performance. Absences from REHEARSALS are excused if you are excused from school. Unexcused absences from rehearsals will result in a 0 for that daily grade.
After-school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00. Tuesday is the best day to make doctors' appointments, etc. Wednesdays are the only day of the week we are able to have the whole band together to rehearse. ALL band members MUST come to band every Wednesday — no exceptions.
We're going to have a great year! I'm so ready to hear you guys play again!
See you July 31st,
Link to Google Drive with forms, music, etc. in your email.