Link to the Google Drive with forms, music, etc. is in your email.
July 30-August 3 8:00-5:30 (end at 5:00 Wednesday)
August 6 3:00-6:00
August 7 3:00-5:00
Please arrive at least 15 minutes early each day. We will begin on time. Attendance is mandatory. You may not leave campus once you get here, so remember to bring lunch.
- Lace-up tennis shoes and socks. No flip flops, sandals, boots, Crocs, etc.
- Wear clothing that will keep you cool, light-colors, and a hat to keep the sun off your head.
- Sunscreen SPF 30-50
- Some type of lip protection with SPF, especially woodwind and brass players. Stay away from the ingredient camphor as it damages lip tissue. If it tingles, don't use it. I like Burt's Bees.
- Deodorant. Please & Thank You.
What to bring:
- WATER AND GATORADE. We will have bottled water iced down each day and a cooler of ice for your own drinks. Do not bring energy drinks, soft drinks, or coffees. Caffeine is can act as a diuretic, which means it can DEhydrate some people...not what we want.
- Snacks for short breaks (trail mix, granola bars, nuts, fresh fruit/veggies, yogurt, jerky, etc.). High protein, high carbs. You need energy. No gum.
- Lunch (Color Guard will sell Chick-fil-a if you are interested. More info on that later.)
- Flip folder, pages, & lyre
- Instrument & accessories (reeds, valve oil, slide grease, sticks, etc.)
- Inhaler, epi pen, or other medical necessities if you have EVER used them. Tell me if you have these when you get here Monday morning.
- Extra pair of dry socks
- More sunscreen
- More deodorant
- ALL CELL PHONES WILL GO IN THE PHONE BOX DURING REHEARSAL TIME. I will let you use them during long scheduled breaks and lunch as long as it doesn't become a problem. I would not be upset if you left your phone at home. Take a break from Fortnite. All your friends will be here. Talk to them in person.
- Enthusiasm and a great attitude!
What to do now & during band camp:
- Play through all 3 show songs several times to familiarize yourself with them before camp. Please have the first 27 measures of "Don't Stop Believin'" memorized. You will play this for me the first day of camp. If you start today (Fri), you only have to memorize about 3 measures a day. Totally doable. Sheet music and recordings for the first and last songs will be in the Google Drive folder by this weekend. I will try to have the middle song done sometime next week. Link to access the folder is in your email.
- Sleep like a normal person. If you're like me, you need to start reprogramming your body's internal clock to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier.
- Eat breakfast every morning. You will burn a lot of calories and need food in your system for energy. A cup of coffee or a donut is not breakfast. Protein and carbs are your friends.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Start drinking more water TODAY. Don't wait until band camp.
- Play your instrument each day leading up to band camp to build up your endurance. Long tones, Remingtons, lip slurs, scales, etc. We will play a lot starting on day one. Be ready.
- Exercise. Go outside. Sweat. Go for a walk or a run. I know it’s hot. Kill two birds with one stone and play your instrument/spin your flag/twirl your baton outside!
Things due July 30:
- Emergency info Google form - in Google Drive
- Copy of health insurance card
- Field trip release - print from Google Drive
- Band handbook agreement - print from Google Drive
- 1 case of water
- $35 first semester school instrument fee
- $78 for bibbers (pants)
*Students with unpaid fees will not perform. Bibbers must be paid for in advance or you cannot be in the picture on picture day or perform without them.
New uniforms will be in soon. I sent the company the rest of our balance ($4206.00) for the jackets and pants this week. We will not have the hats for several more months, maybe not even before the end of the season. If you have not turned in your old uniform, I need those back. In the chance that the new ones are not delivered in time for picture day, we will wear the old ones for the picture. If it doesn't fit perfectly, it won't matter because you'll have it on for a grand total of 45 minutes or less. I appreciate your patience and understanding of the things we can't control. Sometimes life is hard. Band people are known for being flexible.
If you need any music supplies listed above you can get them at Cole Band (open 10-5, M-F), or you can wait and I will make a shopping list the first day of camp (meaning you would have to do without for a couple days). Please check to be sure your instrument is in working condition and have it serviced if necessary before camp. Repairs can take several days, especially this time of year, so plan ahead.
Band Booster Meeting
Our first Band Booster meeting will be Thursday, Aug. 2nd at 5:30. This is often our only formal meeting of the year, so please attend or send someone to represent your family. We will pass out fundraiser info and sign up to work the concession stand (by seniority). Bring your family calendar/planner.
***School Rehearsal Schedule*** Please Read!
Scheduling at Pickens Academy is hectic on a slow day. After school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00 beginning Aug. 8th. Parents, please remember this schedule when you are making plans. If you have to make doctors' appointments, etc. during school/band hours, Tuesday is the best day of the week for that. Your attendance not only affects your grade in band, but also the performance level of the rest of the ensemble.
Wednesdays are our sacred band days. Do not miss band on Wednesdays! Any student involved in other curricular or extra-curricular activities 7th period must come to band every Wednesday – no exceptions. We don't have the convenience of having our full band together every day like most schools. It is up to the student to stay current with the things we are learning and practice at home to catch up for the time lost when he/she is not at band. There is no such thing as a make-up rehearsal. With a band our size, it is extremely difficult to be productive, even when just one person is missing. We do not have a bench and there are no subs. Everyone is important. Everyone plays/performs at all times. Exhaust every resource to be at ALL rehearsals!
Review of Attendance Policy (from Band Handbook)
- Excused: Student illness with a doctor's note or a death in the family. Excused absences from a performance can be "made up" by submitting a 2-page typed report to me.
- Unexcused: Any other type of absence (e.g., vacations, work, you forgot). Unexcused absences from performances cannot be made up and will result in a 0 for that performance.
- Excused: If you are excused from school, you are excused.
- Unexcused: Any other type of absence (e.g., skipping class, being unexcused from school). Unexcused absences from rehearsals will result in a 0 for that daily grade.
We're going to have a great year! I will send out a calendar of events for the year in a separate email so that you can go ahead and add them to your family calendar. I'm getting excited for July 30th!
Link to Google Drive with forms, music, etc. is in your email.