- If you have not submitted your emergency contact form online, your field trip form, insurance card, or your band & bus dues, please submit those ASAP. It makes me very nervous when I don't have emergency information for your child during band camp. Please turn these forms in.
- Your child should have brought home a copy of the Band Handbook today. Please read through it, let me know if you have questions, sign the back page and return it no later than next Thursday, August 8th. A copy of our calendar for the year is included in the back. Please make note of important dates on your family's calendar.
- We will take a field trip next Thursday, August 8th to Tuscaloosa to watch the Drum Corps International Semi-Finals broadcast live on-screen at the Cobb Theatre. The Band Boosters have agreed to pay to cost of the ticket for each child. The show starts at 5:30, so we will leave PA around 3:30 so that we can stop at Wendy's/Arby's for an early supper. We will return to PA around 9:30 that night. We will not have band practice on the 8th. Parents and family members are welcome to meet us there and watch with us (we won't have room on the bus). The entire show is over 5 hours long, so the bus will have to leave early to get back to the school at a reasonable time. Parents are welcome to sign your child off the bus and stay to watch the rest of the competition if you would like.PLEASE NOTE: If I do not have your (1) emergency, (2) field trip, (3) handbook agreement forms, & (4) a copy of your insurance card by August 8th, you cannot go on the trip with us. I cannot take your child on a trip without having their emergency information or without your relieving the school of liabilities.
- Please remind your child to continue to drink water, even after they come home at the end of band camp each day. I do not want anyone getting sick because of dehydration. Please make sure that your child eats SOMETHING for breakfast during camp. And most importantly, please encourage your child, especially if he/she is a new member. Band camp is hard and overwhelming, to say the least; it is normal to feel frustrated. It will all be worth it, if not soon, then later.
Snare - Mason
Cymbals - Katie
Bass Drum - (1) Travis, (2) Judson, (3) Kaitlin
Quads - Chip
The Band group picture will be first at 8:00. PLEASE ARRIVE FULLY DRESSED AND READY AT 7:45. We want to snap the picture at 8:00. Do not get here at 8:00 or you may be left out of the picture! Auxiliaries will take their group pictures after the Band picture. If you have an issue with your uniform, please come early and we will take care of it. Please bring a hanger to hand up your uniform after the picture.
7:45 - Arrive, meet at baseball field
8:00 - Band group picture, auxiliaries & individual pictures following
~9:10 - Go over Band Handbook in band room
9:30 - Magazine fundraiser rep
10:00 - Dismiss (everyone except percussion)
10:15 - Drumline placement auditions
10:45 - Drumline dismissed
Things to Bring
Long black socks
Band shoes (I have these if you ordered them)
$100 Bus fee per student
$50 Band fee (+$35 for additional children)
$24 Band shoes
Emergency contact form
Field trip release form
Copy of insurance card
1 case of water per family
List of music supplies you need ordered (reeds, flip folder, lyre, sticks, etc.)
Drumline Only: Music for placement auditions
Do NOT Bring
Instrument (unless you want it for an individual picture)
Looking forward to seeing everyone bright and early in the morning! Band camp is here!!!!!!!!
A huge thank you to everyone who has come to pick up a uniform! I think there are only 7-8 people who do not have one yet. I will be at school Tuesday & Thursday from 9-12:00 this coming week. Remember that if you are making alterations to your uniform, DO NOT CUT OR IRON ANYTHING! Ironing will burn and melt the fabric.
2. Schedule for Picture Day - Friday, 7/26
This will be a short, but very busy morning for us. Please arrive dressed in your uniform and ready to take a picture BEFORE 8:00 so that we can stay on schedule. Do NOT bring your hat or cape. Do not bring your instrument unless you are having individual pictures made (you may want to have it in your picture).
7:50 - Arrive dressed and ready
8:00 - Group picture at baseball field, auxiliaries, individuals following
9:00 - Go over Band Handbook in band room
9:30 - Magazine fundraiser rep
~10:00 - Dismiss (everyone except percussion)
10:30 - Drumline placement auditions begin
3. Things Due by Friday, 7/26 (Picture Day)
You can turn these things in before Picture Day if you want!
-Emergency Contact Form (submit on website)
-Field Trip Release Form (print off from website)
-Copy of health insurance card
-1 case of water per family
-$100 Bus fee per student
-$50 Band fee (+$35 for additional children)
-$24 If you ordered new band shoes
4. Camp Schedule
Judging from a few questions I've gotten from a couple of students, there seems to be some confusion about the band camp schedule.
July 25 - 9:00-12:00 Band Council Only
July 26 - 8:00-10:30 ALL BAND & AUXILIARY MEMBERS (Sports Program Pictures)
July 29-30 - 8:00-12:00 Band Council, All New Members, All Percussion - If you are on the Band Council, if you have never been in marching band before, and all percussion.
July 29-30 - 2:00-5:30 All Percussion
July 31-August 2 - 8:00-5:30 ALL BAND & AUXILIARY MEMBERS
August 5-7 - 8:00-5:30 ALL BAND & AUXILIARY MEMBERS
August 8, 9, 12 - 3:00-6:00 ALL BAND & AUXILIARY MEMBERS
Attendance at camp is mandatory because of the amount of work we accomplish for the upcoming season. Missing even one day puts you very behind. You will run 2 laps per day if you are absent for any reason. No one may leave campus during band camp for any reason.
6. Conditioning for Band Camp
At band camp, we will spend a good amount of time outside. It will be hot and you will get very sweaty and stink. Do yourself a favor NOW and begin spending time outside doing physical activities to allow your body time to adjust to working in the heat. It would also be a good idea to start drinking more water than you usually do so that your body will be hydrated. If you have not been practicing your instrument this summer, it is VERY important that you begin playing again. Find the halftime music on the website and start practicing! Do not expect to play as well the first few days of camp if you have not been keeping your chops in shape this summer. It just can't happen.
7. Band Camp Checklist
Things to Bring to Band Camp:
-flip folder & lyre
-ALL music (including any old marching band or concert band music that you still have that needs filing)
-reeds (at least 3), valve oil, slide grease, drumsticks
-lace-up, closed-toe tennis shoes and socks - NO sandals, Toms, etc.
-snacks for short breaks
-lunches for full days
If you need any of the music supplies listed above (or any others, like extra flip folder pages, sticks, neck straps, brace guards, etc.) email me a list of what you need and I will order it. Include other music supplies if you need those. You are also welcome to go to Cole Band/Tuscaloosa Music and pick up what you need yourself. Please check to be sure your instrument is in working condition and have it serviced if necessary before camp.
8. Band Website - papirateband.com
As many of you have already discovered, the new website is up and running! On the website, you will find:
-Blog with news and announcements
-Calendar of events
-Documents - Please submit the Emergency Form and print the Field Trip Release.
-Members Only - Drumline placement audition materials. Halftime recordings & music for all instruments. Please do not share the password with anyone.
Please take a few minutes to submit the Emergency Contact Form and the Field Trip Permission Form. Both of these are located under the Documents tab above. These are due by July 26, 2013 along with a copy of your insurance card. The Emergency Form will be sent as an email to me when you submit it. You will have to print the Permission Form.