8:00-5:30 July 31 - Aug. 4, 8:00-12:00 Aug. 5.
Please arrive 15 minutes early each day so we can begin on time. Attendance is mandatory. You may not leave campus once you get here, so remember to bring lunch.
What to wear:
- Lace-up tennis shoes and socks. No flip flops, sandals, Chacos, etc.
- Wear clothing that will keep you cool, like shorts, light-colors, and a hat to keep the sun off your head.
- Some type of lip protection with spf, especially woodwind and brass players. If it tingles, don't use it. Stay away from the ingredient camphor as it damages lip tissue.
- Deodorant. Please & Thank You.
What to bring:
- WATER AND GATORADE. We will have bottled water iced down each day and a cooler of ice for your own drinks. Do not bring energy drinks, soft drinks, or coffees.
- Snacks for short breaks (trail mix, granola bars, nuts, fresh fruit/veggies, yogurt, jerky, etc.). No gum.
- Lunch (Majorettes will take orders for Subway box lunches on Tuesday and Friday. More info about that later.)
- Flip folder & lyre
- Instrument (reeds, valve oil, slide grease, sticks, etc.)
- Inhaler, epi pen, or other medical necessities if you have EVER used them. Tell me if you have these when you get here Monday morning.
- Cell phones will go in the phone box during rehearsals. I need you mentally present during rehearsals. I would not be upset if you left your phone at home.
- Enthusiasm and a great attitude!
What to do before band camp (and during band camp):
- PLEASE HAVE "ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK" MEMORIZED FOR THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP.
- Get plenty of sleep. If you're like me, you need to start reprogramming your body's internal clock to go to bed and wake up earlier.
- Eat breakfast every morning
. You will burn a lot of calories and need food in your system for energy. A cup of coffee is not breakfast.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Start drinking more water TODAY. Don't wait until band camp.
- Play your instrument each day leading up to band camp to build up your endurance. Long tones, Remingtons, lip slurs, scales, etc. We will play a lot starting on day one. Be ready.
- Get exercise. Go outside. Sweat. Go for a walk or a run. Yes, in the heat. Kill two birds with one stone and play your instrument outside!
Things to turn in by July 31st:
- Emergency form
- Copy of health insurance card
- Field trip release
- Band handbook agreement
- Auxiliary handbook agreement
- 1 case of water
- $26 for shoes if you ordered
- $35 first semester school instrument fee
By Sept. 1st:
- $75 band fee #1
By Oct. 6th:
- $75 band fee #2
If you still have not turned in uniform parts from last year, I need those back yesterday. If you need alterations to your uniform, remember no cutting and no ironing (they burn). If we haven't found a uniform for you yet, DO NOT WORRY! This is not uncommon. We will probably have to do some shuffling around during band camp. Everyone will have a uniform.
If you need any music supplies listed above you can get them at Cole Band (open 10-5, M-F), or you can wait and I will make a shopping list the first day of camp (meaning you would have to do without for a couple days). Please check to be sure your instrument is in working condition and have it serviced if necessary before camp. This could take several days, so plan ahead.
Band Booster Meeting
Our first Band Booster meeting will be Thursday, Aug. 3rd at 5:30. Please plan to attend as we generally only have 1-2 meetings per year. We will pass out calendar fundraiser packets, elect one new officer, and sign up to work the concession stand (by seniority).
Your attendance affects your grade in band. The only excused absences from PERFORMANCES are student illness or a death in the family. Excused absences can be "made up" by submitting a 2-page typed report to me. Any other type of absence (e.g. vacations, work, you forgot) will be unexcused. Unexcused absences from performances cannot be made up and will result in a 0 for that performance. Absences from REHEARSALS are excused if you are excused from school. Unexcused absences from rehearsals will result in a 0 for that daily grade.
After-school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00. Tuesday is the best day to make doctors' appointments, etc. Wednesdays are the only day of the week we are able to have the whole band together to rehearse. ALL band members MUST come to band every Wednesday — no exceptions.
We're going to have a great year! I'm so ready to hear you guys play again!
See you July 31st,
Link to Google Drive with forms, music, etc. in your email.
Remember to bring me your $35 for your DCI ticket! I do have ONE extra ticket if anyone wants it. Let me know.
Here is the info again:
Tickets are $35 each and you can bring this by the school (Tues/Thurs 9-12:00) or get it to me sometime before we leave. Checks can be made payable to PA. You will also need money for lunch, supper, and any concessions/snacks. Many corps have souvenir trucks if you would like to purchase a souvenir (CDs, shirts, etc.). We will plan to leave immediately after the last performance and before the awards ceremony so that we don't get home quite so late.
Saturday, July 29th
*All Central Time*
9:50 AM - Meet at PA
10:00 AM - Leave
11:45-12:30 - Lunch in Bham
3:15 - Arrive at McEachern HS in Powder Springs, GA
4:00 - Show starts
?10:00 - Show ends
?10:45 - Leave
?3:00 AM - Arrive at PA
All halftime show music is now in the Google Drive folder. The link to access it is in your email. Clarinets and alto saxes have 2 pages to all 3 songs. The more prepared YOU are for band camp, the better WE will be!
I hope everyone is having a rejuvenating summer! Plans for the upcoming school year are underway and I am very excited. All of the events and deadlines below are listed on the calendar on the band website http://www.papirateband.com. This is a long email with a LOT of important info, so please read carefully.
Band fee = $150 per child, $135 for 2nd child (includes bus). You can send one check for $150 OR 2 payments of $75 due by Friday, Sept. 1st & Friday, Oct. 6th. Please do not send cash.
School Instrument Usage Fee = $35 per semester for students using school-owned instruments. A check-out form will be signed by the student, parent, and myself. Fee for 1st semester (marching season) is due by July 31st. Fee for 2nd semester (concert season) is due by Jan. 5th.
Shoes = $26 if you need them. I have a few hand-me-downs in my office. Shoes must be paid for before I can order them.
It is very important that I have ALL of these items by the first day of camp, July 31st, in case of an emergency. Returning members, if there are no changes to your emergency info or insurance from last year, you do not have to submit a new emergency form or bring a copy of your insurance card. The Auxiliary Handbook Agreement is only for Color Guard, Varsity, & JH Majorettes.
All forms can be downloaded and printed from the Google Drive link in your email.
-Field Trip Release
-Band Handbook Agreement
-Copy of health insurance card
-Auxiliary Handbook Agreement
If you have uniform parts that you will not be wearing this fall, PLEASE RETURN THEM ASAP so someone else can use them. If you are keeping the same band uniform or if you already know you need a new part, please let me know. Uniform fittings will be 9:00-1:00 Tuesday, July 18th and 4:00-7:00 Thursday, July 20th.
If there are any parents who would like to volunteer to help with this process, or even be in charge of this, I will be eternally grateful!!!
Each family should bring 1 case of bottled water for camp. You can bring this with you to uniform fittings.
5. ***School Rehearsal Schedule*** Please Read!
After school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00 beginning Aug. 9th. Parents, please remember this schedule when you are making plans. Tuesday is the best day of the week if you have to make doctors' appointments, etc.
Wednesdays are sacred band days. All athletes and any student involved in any other curricular or extra-curricular activity 7th period must come to band every Wednesday – no exceptions. It is up to the student to stay current with the things we are learning when he/she is not at band. Remember that your band grade goes on your report card. Exhaust every resource to be at ALL rehearsals.
Keep yourself in shape! Upper body and core exercises, running/cardio, and eating healthy foods are all good things to do to get ready for band camp. Begin acclimating your body to the heat as well. Spend time outside each day. Band is more fun when your body is able to perform the things band requires it to do!
Remember to practice your instrument! We will hit the ground running the first day, so be ready. Show music will be posted to the Google Drive as it is completed (link in your email).
If your instrument needs a checkup or repair, please tend to that BEFORE band camp. Cole Band is open M-F 10-5:00.
7. Camp Schedule Reminder
July 31-August 4th 8:00-5:30
August 5th 8:00-12:00
Daily band camp attendance is mandatory! Be on time (read: 15 minutes early) every day. The band room will be open around 7:30.
Band Boosters will meet Thurs., Aug. 3rd at 5:30 after band camp. We will elect 1 new officer, sign up for concession stand duties, and distribute calendar fundraisers.
I will send another email in the next week or two of things to bring to band camp.
See you July 31st!
P.S. Please join our Remind text message list. It's free and you don't have to download anything.
To be added to the Parent list, send the message @201314band to 81010
To be added to the Student list, send the message @201314ban to 81010