Monday, Aug 1 – Friday, Aug 5: 8:00-5:30
Saturday, Aug 6: 8:00-3:00
Monday, Aug 8: 3:00-6:00 (PICTURES @ 4:30)
Tuesday, Aug 9: 3:00-5:15
Please arrive 10-15 minutes early each day so we can begin on time. Attendance is mandatory. You may not leave campus once you get here, so remember to bring lunch.
What to wear:
- You MUST wear lace-up tennis shoes and socks. No flip flops, sandals, Chacos, etc.
- Wear clothing that will keep you cool, like shorts, light-colors, and a hat to keep the sun off your head.
- Sunscreen. Don't be this year's lobster.
- Some type of lip protection with spf. Usually, if it tingles, it's a bad idea. Stay away from the ingredient camphor.
- Deodorant. Please. :)
What to bring:
- Water/Gatorade jug. We will have bottles of water iced down each day and a cooler of ice for your own Gatorade bottles. Do not bring energy drinks/coffees.
- Snacks for short breaks (trail mix, granola bars, nuts, fresh fruit/veggies, yogurt, jerky, etc.). Do not bring gum.
- Lunch (Majorettes will sell Subway box lunches on Wednesday and Saturday. $8.50)
- Flip folder & lyre
- Pencil (bass drums will also need a highlighter)
- Instrument (reeds, valve oil, slide grease, sticks, etc.)
- Inhaler, epi pen, or other medical necessities if you have EVER used them. Make sure I know if you have these when you get here Monday morning.
- Cell phones will go in the phone box during rehearsals. I need you mentally present during rehearsals.
- Good attitude!
What to do before and during:
- Get plenty of sleep. If you're like me, you need to start reprogramming your body to go to bed and wake up earlier.
- EAT BREAKFAST EVERY MORNING. You will burn a lot of calories and need food in your system for energy. A coke and candy bar do not count as breakfast.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Start drinking more water TODAY. Don't wait until band camp.
- Play your instrument each day leading up to band camp to build up your endurance. Long tones, Remingtons, lip slurs, scales.... Check your email for the link to the folder with halftime music.
- Get exercise. Go outside. Sweat. Go for a walk or a run. Go catch Pokemon. Yes, in the heat. Kill two birds with one stone and play your instrument outside!
Things to turn in:
By the 1st day of band camp:
- Emergency form (submit here)
- Copy of health insurance card
- Field trip release (print here)
- Band handbook agreement (page 12) (print here)
- 1 case of water per family
- $26 for shoes if you ordered
By Sept. 1st:
- $75 band fee #1
- $35 first semester school instrument fee
By Nov. 1st:
- $75 band fee #2
There are still 5-6 people who need to pick up a uniform. I can do uniforms again this Thursday, July 28th from 9-12:00. If you need alterations, remember no cutting and no ironing. If you still have not turned in uniform parts from last year, I need them back ASAP.
If you need any music supplies listed above you can get them at Cole Band (open 10-5, M-F), or you can wait and I will make a shopping list the first day of camp (meaning you would have to do without for a couple days). Please check to be sure your instrument is in working condition and have it serviced if necessary before camp.
Band Booster Meeting
Our first Band Booster meeting will be Thursday, Aug. 4th at 5:30. Please plan to attend as we generally only have 2-3 meetings per year. You will want to be there to sign up to work the concession stand (this goes by seniority and usually fills up fast). We will also pass out calendar & magazine fundraiser packets.
Scheduling — Please read carefully
We are very blessed to have such a small school with so many different opportunities for student involvement at PA. I do encourage you to immerse yourself in our school culture to discover and hone your abilities, but please involve yourself responsibly.
Performance and rehearsal dates and times for the year are listed on the calendar on the band website (click here). I encourage you to sync this calendar with your phone or other device.
The only excused absences from PERFORMANCES are student illness or a death in the family. Excused absences can be "made up" by submitting a 2-page typed report to me. Any other type of absence will be unexcused. Unexcused absences from performances cannot be made up and will result in a 0 for that performance. Absences from REHEARSALS are excused if the school will excuse it. Unexcused absences from rehearsals will result in a 0 for that daily grade.
After-school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00. Tuesday is the best day to make doctors' appointments, etc. Wednesdays are the only day of the week we are able to have the whole band together to rehearse. ALL band members MUST come to band every Wednesday — no exceptions.
DCI Finals Party
The Band Council is hosting a DCI Finals watch party on Saturday, Aug. 13th from 5:00-10:00 in the band room. We will watch Finals (the championship) and enjoy some food and fellowship. Plan to come and have fun with your band family. You don't have to stay the entire time, but the higher-ranked corps perform at the end! More details about this during camp next week.
We're going to have a great year! I can't wait to make music with all of you again next week. See you Monday!