I hope everyone is having a great summer! I am very excited about our halftime show and our snazzy new uniforms. JV Majorettes have already had a camp, Majorettes are at camp now, and Color Guard is going tomorrow. We've got a great group of people this year and I'm looking forward to doing band with all of you. I have a good feeling about this year. The vibe is just...different....
Your 2018-19 Band Council is planning an outing to go bowling in a few weeks as a social/band family activity before band camp gets underway. I will send you details about that when they have something finalized. Hope you can come!
All of the events and deadlines below are listed on the calendar on the band website. This is a long email with a LOT of important info, so please read carefully. Save this email so that you can come back to it when you think about sending me a message asking, "When is band camp?", you already have the answer. Everyone wins.
Students with any unpaid fees will not perform. Please do not send cash.
-Band fee = $150 per child, $135 for 2nd child (includes charter bus). $75 due by Sept. 1st & $75 due by Oct. 1st.
-School Instrument Usage Fee = $35 per semester for students using school-owned instruments. A check-out form will be signed by the student, parent, and myself. Fee for 1st semester is due by July 30th.
-Shoes = $26 if you need them. I have a few hand-me-downs in my office. Shoes must be paid for before I can order them.
-Bibbers (pants) = $78. You must pay for these before you get them. You cannot be in the group picture on picture day or perform without them.
Students with missing paperwork will not perform. It is very important that I have ALL of these items by the first day of camp, July 30th, in case of an emergency. Returning members, if there are no changes to your emergency info or insurance from last year, you do not have to submit a new emergency form or bring a copy of your insurance card. EVERYONE needs to fill out the field trip release and the band handbook agreement.
All forms are in the Google Drive (link in your email):
-Field Trip Release
-Band Handbook Agreement (last page of Band Handbook)
-Copy of health insurance card
If you still have a uniform that you have not cleaned or returned, please return them ASAP. I am at the school most Tuesday afternoons. Our new jackets and bibbers should be here in time for the new season! I'm hoping to get an update on them next week.
4. ***School Rehearsal Schedule*** Please Read!
Scheduling at Pickens Academy is hectic on a slow day. After school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00 beginning Aug. 8th. Parents, please remember this schedule when you are making plans. If you have to make doctors' appointments, etc. during school/band hours, Tuesday is the best day of the week for that.
Wednesdays are our sacred band days. Do not miss band on Wednesdays! Any student involved in other curricular or extra-curricular activities 7th period must come to band every Wednesday – no exceptions. We don't have the convenience of having our full band together every day like most schools. It is up to the student to stay current with the things we are learning and practice at home to catch up for the time lost when he/she is not at band. There is no such thing as a make-up rehearsal. With a band our size, it is extremely difficult to be productive, even when just one person is missing. We do not have a bench and there are no subs. Everyone is important. Everyone plays/performs at all times. Exhaust every resource to be at ALL rehearsals!
-Keep yourself in shape! Upper body and core exercises, running/cardio, and eating healthy foods are all good things to do to get ready for band camp. Begin acclimating your body to the heat as well. Spend time outside each day. Band is more fun when your body is able to perform the things band requires it to do!
-Remember to practice your instrument! We will hit the ground running the first day, so be ready. Drill and music will be posted to Google Drive as it is completed (link in your email). If your instrument needs a checkup or repair, please tend to that BEFORE band camp. Cole Band is open M-F 10-5:00.
6. Camp Schedule Reminder
July 30-August 3rd 8:00-5:30 (end at 5:00 Wednesday)
August 6th 3:00-6:00
August 7th 3:00-5:00
-Daily band camp attendance is mandatory! Be on time (read: 15 minutes early) every day. The band room will be open around 7:30.
-Band Boosters will meet Thurs., Aug. 2nd at 5:30 after band camp. We will sign up for concession stand duties and distribute fundraiser info. This is often our only meeting of the year, so please attend or send someone to represent your family.
-Picture Day is Friday, August 3rd. We go first at 8:00.
I will send you another email in a couple of weeks with a list of things to bring to band camp.
See you for bowling later on!
P.S. If you haven't, please join our Remind text message list. It's free and you don't have to download anything (unless you want the app, but that's not necessary). I send regular announcements through this.
-To be added to the Parent list, send a text message to 81010 with the message: @201314band
-To be added to the Student list, send a text message to 81010 with the message: @201314ban
President - Travis Dean
Vice-President - Isabella Dee
Secretary-Treasurer - Drew Powell
Librarian - Amber Barton
Librarian - Kaci Henders
McKenzie Bowles - Co-Captain
Anna Grace Garrison - Captain
Isabella Dee - Captain
1. Students make sure you come to band tomorrow (Wed). We will talk about the band banquet and make some decisions.
2. Fish fry tickets - I have tickets for Jesse, Drew P, Leah, and Allie. Please sell as many as you can. We have put a 50% deposit down on our new uniforms and we may still need to do another fundraiser before the end of the year. Each family MUST sell or purchase 15 plates (20 plates if 2 children) in order for us to make a profit. If you ask someone and they don't want a fish plate, ask if they would give a donation. With new uniforms coming soon, money is getting very tight.
3. Fundraising/Fees Balances - Click the link in your text messages or on Google Classroom to see your balances. Fees are on the first tab and fundraising quotas are on the second tab at the bottom left of the page. We have a little over ***$7000*** in outstanding fees right now!! Please do your part to clear this up!! See note above about money getting tight.
4. New Band Uniform Update - Students were measured by the uniform company rep on Feb. 28th. We paid a 50% deposit - $4206.00 - for new uniform jackets, garment bags, and bibbers (pants). As previously discussed, each band member will buy his/her bibs and keep them from year to year like the shoes, or re-sell to someone else after they graduate or outgrow them. The cost for these is $78.00 each. The Band Boosters are paying the cost up front and each member will be responsible for repaying the Band Boosters to receive your bibs. No one will be allowed to march without these. They must be paid for beforehand.
We have not placed the order for the shakos (hats) yet because I'm still not happy with the design. The cost for shakos is NOT included in what we have paid so far. I will send you a preview of the full design when it's ready. It's going to look awesome!
8:00-5:30 July 31 - Aug. 4, 8:00-12:00 Aug. 5.
Please arrive 15 minutes early each day so we can begin on time. Attendance is mandatory. You may not leave campus once you get here, so remember to bring lunch.
What to wear:
- Lace-up tennis shoes and socks. No flip flops, sandals, Chacos, etc.
- Wear clothing that will keep you cool, like shorts, light-colors, and a hat to keep the sun off your head.
- Some type of lip protection with spf, especially woodwind and brass players. If it tingles, don't use it. Stay away from the ingredient camphor as it damages lip tissue.
- Deodorant. Please & Thank You.
What to bring:
- WATER AND GATORADE. We will have bottled water iced down each day and a cooler of ice for your own drinks. Do not bring energy drinks, soft drinks, or coffees.
- Snacks for short breaks (trail mix, granola bars, nuts, fresh fruit/veggies, yogurt, jerky, etc.). No gum.
- Lunch (Majorettes will take orders for Subway box lunches on Tuesday and Friday. More info about that later.)
- Flip folder & lyre
- Instrument (reeds, valve oil, slide grease, sticks, etc.)
- Inhaler, epi pen, or other medical necessities if you have EVER used them. Tell me if you have these when you get here Monday morning.
- Cell phones will go in the phone box during rehearsals. I need you mentally present during rehearsals. I would not be upset if you left your phone at home.
- Enthusiasm and a great attitude!
What to do before band camp (and during band camp):
- PLEASE HAVE "ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK" MEMORIZED FOR THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP.
- Get plenty of sleep. If you're like me, you need to start reprogramming your body's internal clock to go to bed and wake up earlier.
- Eat breakfast every morning
. You will burn a lot of calories and need food in your system for energy. A cup of coffee is not breakfast.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Start drinking more water TODAY. Don't wait until band camp.
- Play your instrument each day leading up to band camp to build up your endurance. Long tones, Remingtons, lip slurs, scales, etc. We will play a lot starting on day one. Be ready.
- Get exercise. Go outside. Sweat. Go for a walk or a run. Yes, in the heat. Kill two birds with one stone and play your instrument outside!
Things to turn in by July 31st:
- Emergency form
- Copy of health insurance card
- Field trip release
- Band handbook agreement
- Auxiliary handbook agreement
- 1 case of water
- $26 for shoes if you ordered
- $35 first semester school instrument fee
By Sept. 1st:
- $75 band fee #1
By Oct. 6th:
- $75 band fee #2
If you still have not turned in uniform parts from last year, I need those back yesterday. If you need alterations to your uniform, remember no cutting and no ironing (they burn). If we haven't found a uniform for you yet, DO NOT WORRY! This is not uncommon. We will probably have to do some shuffling around during band camp. Everyone will have a uniform.
If you need any music supplies listed above you can get them at Cole Band (open 10-5, M-F), or you can wait and I will make a shopping list the first day of camp (meaning you would have to do without for a couple days). Please check to be sure your instrument is in working condition and have it serviced if necessary before camp. This could take several days, so plan ahead.
Band Booster Meeting
Our first Band Booster meeting will be Thursday, Aug. 3rd at 5:30. Please plan to attend as we generally only have 1-2 meetings per year. We will pass out calendar fundraiser packets, elect one new officer, and sign up to work the concession stand (by seniority).
Your attendance affects your grade in band. The only excused absences from PERFORMANCES are student illness or a death in the family. Excused absences can be "made up" by submitting a 2-page typed report to me. Any other type of absence (e.g. vacations, work, you forgot) will be unexcused. Unexcused absences from performances cannot be made up and will result in a 0 for that performance. Absences from REHEARSALS are excused if you are excused from school. Unexcused absences from rehearsals will result in a 0 for that daily grade.
After-school rehearsals will be every Wednesday and Thursday until 5:00. Tuesday is the best day to make doctors' appointments, etc. Wednesdays are the only day of the week we are able to have the whole band together to rehearse. ALL band members MUST come to band every Wednesday — no exceptions.
We're going to have a great year! I'm so ready to hear you guys play again!
See you July 31st,
Link to Google Drive with forms, music, etc. in your email.